How to Prepare for a Funeral for Your Loved One
Making Funeral Arrangements in Middletown, NJ
Funeral planning is fraught with uncertainties. Whether it’s pre-planning for your own or making the funeral arrangements for a loved one, you’re probably feeling overwhelmed by the number of decisions that must be made. John F. Pfleger Funeral Home, Inc. is here to streamline the process for you as much as possible. Our experienced funeral directors and staff often provide tips on how to prepare for a funeral for families in Middletown, NJ and surrounding communities in Monmouth County. Our all-faiths funeral home assists with everything from obituaries to affordable funeral, burial, and cremation services. We’re dedicated to providing funeral services with dignity.
A Helpful Funeral Planning Checklist for You
Is anybody ever ready emotionally to discuss death and funeral plans? Whether your loved one passed unexpectedly or after a prolonged illness, it’s challenging to assume responsibility for funeral planning while you’re in the midst of the mourning process. With so many details and decisions involved in making funeral arrangements, it becomes easy for some items to slip through the cracks. Use this helpful funeral planning checklist to ensure everything’s taken care of:
- Select a funeral home/director and give them the deceased’s information
- Obtain the legal death certificate (be sure to make multiple copies)
- Make arrangements for the transportation of the body to the funeral home
- Notify the deceased’s close friends, family, employer, neighbors, etc. of their passing
- Gather information for the obituary and designate someone to write and submit it
- Discuss the desired disposition and associated costs (burial, cremation, green burial, etc.)
- Select casket, urn, and memorial marker preferences and make payment arrangements
- Choose a cemetery or mausoleum (you may also need to obtain a burial permit)
- Discuss the type of service (formal funeral ceremony, memorial, a celebration of life, etc.)
- Select the date, time, and location for the viewing and memorial service
- Decide who will officiate the proceedings and deliver the eulogy
- Identify any religious, fraternal, or military honors that need to be included in the service
- Gather photos and prepare displays, videos, and other tributes for use at the service
- Select a florist and flower arrangements
- Choose what the deceased will wear for the viewing and burial
- Discuss desired entertainment and catering options (music, readings, food after services, etc.)
- Determine who will serve as pallbearers
- Coordinate transportation from the funeral home to the burial site (if applicable)
- Make arrangements for donations to charitable organizations (if applicable)
Selecting Our Funeral Home Solidifies Your Support Network
It’s essential to express your emotions freely and as much as you need to during the grieving process. While you may believe it’s your duty to “stay strong” for others while making funeral arrangements, you mustn’t bottle up your feelings. You’re allowed to grieve too. Working with the caring experts at John F. Pfleger Funeral Home, Inc. will solidify your support network. We’re here to provide professional resources and aid you in your decision-making. If you need help selecting local florists, musicians, or transportation services, check out our Community Resources. Please note that we don’t endorse any specific vendors over others, but we’ve compiled a list of service providers in Middletown, NJ to assist you in your search. You may also ask friends and family for recommendations or read reviews online to determine the best vendors for your needs and budget.
The Benefits of Funeral Pre-Planning Are Two-Fold & Numerous
As you can see from the funeral checklist above, planning a funeral can be cumbersome. Many individuals reach out to our funeral home for expert funeral pre-planning services. The benefits of pre-planning your own funeral or celebration of life service are two-fold. It gives you peace of mind that you’ll be remembered on your terms with prepaid funeral plans without placing any financial burdens on your loved ones. It also relieves your grieving family from making so many difficult decisions when they’re not thinking clearly. In accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s guidelines, John F. Pfleger Funeral Home, Inc. lists all related funeral prices on our website to make pre-planning as easy as possible. At the very least, you should specify who you want to oversee your funeral arrangements ahead of time. Getting the legal paperwork ready and discussing your final wishes is not an enviable task, but it is an inevitable one, as we will all die someday.
Contact Us for Assistance with Funeral Arrangements
Our experienced funeral directors and staff at John F. Pfleger Funeral Home, Inc. would be happy to assist you in making funeral arrangements in Middletown, NJ. Our funeral home provides burial, cremation, and green funeral services to accommodate your wishes. Please contact us today to get started. From public to private, religious to secular, we’ve handled funeral and memorial services of all kinds. We also recommend viewing our frequently asked questions to help put your mind at ease.