Veteran Funeral Services in Middletown, NJ
FUNERALS THAT HONOR THE LIVES OF VETERANS
Veterans deserve funeral services that are as honorable as the lives they lead. At John F. Pfleger Funeral Home, we proudly offer veteran funeral services in Middletown, New Jersey. Helping veterans and their families make final arrangements is one of the many ways we try to give back to the brave men and women who have served our country. Learn more about our veteran services.
What Are Traditional Military Funeral Honors
Traditional military funeral honors are a way that the nation shows its appreciation to deceased veterans. We will help arrange for the traditional military funeral honors for all veteran funeral services. Military honors include:
- Playing Taps
- A rifle detail
- Presentation of a burial flag to next of kin by a uniformed service member
- A final salute before the burial
Types of Veteran Funeral Services
Veteran funeral services are designed around the last wishes of the deceased. We perform various types of burial services, and each of them can be performed for a deceased veteran as well. We offer veteran funeral planning services for those who want to make their final arrangements in advance. We provide veteran cremation services as well as veteran burials. We even help veterans arrange for natural green burial services.
Eligibility for Veteran Military Funeral Benefits and Honors
The traditional funeral honors are free for all eligible veterans. In order to verify services, funeral homes and the VA often require the veteran’s DD-214 or discharge papers. We will always work with you to understand your eligibility better. Per law, a veteran is eligible for free military funeral honors if they meet one of the following definitions:
- An active-duty service member or member of the Selected Reserve.
- Former military service members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
- Former active-duty service members who departed with an honorable discharge.
- Members of the military who completed one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated services and were honorably discharged.
Connecting You With VA Funeral Benefits
As part of our country’s obligation to our veterans, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers certain funeral benefits to eligible veterans. John F. Pfleger Funeral Home regularly works with the VA to acquire these benefits for the families of deceased veterans. The benefits offered by the VA include:
- Headstones: The VA will provide a headstone or marker for a deceased veteran. Dependents, such as spouses, can receive headstones if buried in a national, state, or military cemetery.
- A Presidential Memorial Certificate: Veterans receive this personalized certificate in recognition of their services, signed by the president.
- Memorial Plots: The VA provides a plot and marker in a national cemetery when a veteran’s remains are not available for burial. If you would like to place the VA-provided headstone or marker in a cemetery other than a national cemetery, you may do so. The VA will still pay for the marker but not the plot.
- Burial in a National Cemetery: Veterans have the option of burial at a national cemetery, which includes the cost of the gravesite, opening and closing the grave, a container, and perpetual care.
- Reimbursement of Burial: You can review the Guide to VA Burial Allowances if you need more information on the eligibility requirements and the reimbursement levels.
Experts in Veteran Services Since 1956
John F. Pfleger Funeral Home has conducted veteran funeral services with respect and dignity since 1956. We appreciate the immense sacrifices made by our nation’s veterans and their family members. Whether you are making future arrangements for yourself or arrangements for a recently deceased loved one, we will guide you through the entire process with the highest levels of care, respect, and dedication. This is one of many ways we try to thank you for your service.
Schedule a Veteran Funeral Services Planning Conference
It is normal to have a lot of questions when you are making final arrangements for a veteran. We are here to help you plan veteran funeral services, including veteran cremation services or veteran burial services. We have experience arranging traditional military honors and helping you access your VA funeral benefits. Contact us today to schedule a veteran funeral services planning conference.
Military funeral honors are free and mandated by law for eligible veterans. Eligibility is verified by the veteran’s DD-214, or discharge papers. Eligible members are:
- Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.
- Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
- Former military members who served on active duty and departed with honorable conditions.
- Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under honorable conditions.
Check out these resources for more information about honoring veterans and military funerals: